Free Email Updates and printable blessing cards

5 Ways To Protect God’s Favor On Your Life

5 Ways To Protect God's Favor On Your Life by Jamie Rohrbaugh | blogSo you’re in a new season. God is doing great things in your life. He’s giving you favor. Things that didn’t work in the past are now working. Ideas you’ve wanted to implement for years are taking off. God is giving you new relationships. Awesome things are happening.

Ever get concerned that it might not last?

I’ve been having fun discussing this subject with a pastor friend of mine for awhile now. Specifically, we’ve been pondering this question: “When God gives you favor, it is possible for the enemy to steal it?”

I think it is certainly possible. The enemy of our souls always wants to destroy what God is doing. However, God is so much greater than the enemy! Therefore, I don’t want to dwell on the negative. I DO, however, want to talk about how God can protect the favor He is giving us. God is always greater, and we serve a big God that will perfect all things that concern us! 

So how do we protect what God is doing? How do we make sure that we won’t mess up the favor He is giving us when we enter a new season?

Here are 5 ways to protect God’s favor on our lives:

(And just because I love you, I made you a 5 Ways To Protect God’s Favor On Your Life free printable bookmark that you can download and print if you’d like to!) 😉

1. Pray specifically for God to protect the favor He has given you.

My friends, we need to be proactive in our praying. Favor is a beautiful thing. It can turn your life around in one moment. So we need to be specifically praying about favor:

  • that God will give us favor with Himself;
  • that He would give us favor with specific people (and I pray for favor with people by name); and
  • that God would protect the favor He has given us.

Favor is a commodity. It can be bought, sold, invested, or squandered. The same way we would ask God to protect our finances or to protect our cars when we drive, we need to also ask God to protect the favor He has given us.

2. Plead the blood of Jesus over specific aspects of your life.

Jesus Christ came to give us abundant life. He died to redeem us back to God’s original intent for our lives. His blood was shed not only to purchase forgiveness of sins, but also to destroy all the works of the devil.

The best weapon we have against the enemy is the blood of Jesus. The blood of Jesus was shed to give us:

  • perfect relationship with God;
  • protection;
  • provision;
  • health;
  • comfort;
  • joy;
  • wholeness in every area, and much more.

So ask God to cover your relationships, decisions, finances, opportunities, marriage, job, and the favor on your life with the blood of Jesus.

An attorney goes before a jury and pleads a case based on the evidence at hand. In the same way, you have the legal right to stand before God and present the blood of Jesus to Him. Jesus’ blood is your evidence that you are entitled to what you ask for. Jesus paid the total price for your restoration. Without the blood of Jesus, you have no argument; but with it, you win every time.

Related: 10 Things Jesus Purchased For You With His Suffering

3. Ask God to deliver you from the snare of the fowler.

Psalm 91:3 says:

Start-quoteSurely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the perilous pestilence.”

The Lord brought this verse to my attention recently when I was asking God to protect the favor on my life. I had never really given this verse much thought before. I had read it often and confessed it over myself, but didn’t pay much attention to it.

However, the Lord showed me that this verse is incredibly relevant. Here’s why:

  • When God brings you into a new season of favor, you’re flying high like a bird. You’ve taken wing and are having the time of your life.
  • The enemy would love to bring you down and destroy that work.  He’d love to catch you in a snare and make you crash and burn.
  • However, God’s Word says that God will protect us from “the snare of the fowler.”
  • The “fowler” a guy who hunts and kills birds. The “snare of the fowler” is is the trap of the enemy that would bring you down when you’re flying in God’s perfect plans for your life. So…
  • When God says He SHALL deliver us from the snare of the fowler, it means He promises to protect His work in our lives.

So claim that promise! Ask God to deliver you from the snare of the fowler today, and to keep you flying high in His perfect plans for your life!

Related: Ready To Feel Alive Again?

4. Pray for wisdom.

James 1:5-6 tells us:

Start-quoteIf any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind.”

Wisdom is one of the most important things we could ever ask God for. Wisdom causes us to:

  • make the right decisions;
  • say the right things at the right time; and
  • DO the right things at the right time.

Wisdom keeps us from making mistakes. It keeps us from messing up the good things God is doing in our lives!

So ask daily God for wisdom. He will give you the wisdom you ask for, if you will simply ask Him and believe His promise. Wisdom can make the difference between an abundant, favored, successful life and a life that’s poor and miserable.

5. Be faithful to give your tithe and offerings.

The enemy would like to devour the good things that God is doing in your life, but God has given us a protection against that devourer: the giving of our tithes and offerings. 

The Bible teaches us that the first ten percent of your income belongs to God. That first 10% is called a “tithe,” and it’s the minimum gift that God says we should give. Giving to God over and above 10% that is called “giving offerings.”

God doesn’t need our money, but He knows that we need to give it. When you give the first 10% of your income back to God, the Bible teaches us that that gift actually redeems the remaining 90% from the curse of sin. Basically, giving God the first 10% protects the remaining 90%, and ensures God’s blessings on the remaining 90%. (And God can do way more with 90% than we can ever do with 100%.

The issue of tithing comes down to this: God wants to bless us in everything, but He can only do that when we give Him total control of our lives, including our finances. 

Giving God the tithe proves that we have given God Lordship over our finances and material goods. When we honor God by tithing and giving offerings, He can take away the curse of this world’s sinful economy from our finances, and He can put a blessing on our lives instead. God actually promises to rebuke the enemy that would like to devour us, if we will tithe.

Malachi 3:10-12 explains His promise to rebuke the devourer when we tithe:

Start-quoteBring all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house, and try Me now in this,” says the Lord of hosts, “If I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you such blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it.

“And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, so that he will not destroy the fruit of your ground, nor shall the vine fail to bear fruit for you in the field,” says the Lord of hosts; “And all nations will call you blessed, for you will be a delightful land,” says the Lord of hosts” (emphasis mine).

Giving our tithes and offerings is one of the most powerful ways we can protect God’s work in our lives. When we are faithful to give, God tells us that we can actually PROVE Him in this area and that He will rebuke the devourer–the enemy–off of our lives.

So there you go. Five ways to protect God’s favor on your life.

God is always greater. His work in your life is protected by the blood of Jesus. If we will plead the blood of Jesus, pray, get wisdom, and follow His instructions in every area of our lives, God will protect the favor He is giving us.

Does this message speak to your heart today? Are you inspired to actively protect God’s favor on your life? If so, please leave a comment below! I’d love to hear from you!

Don’t miss a thing! Sign up for free updates!

You’ll get an email when new content is posted. You’ll also receive my free, printable blessing cards and my ebook–The Presence Seeker’s Creed–for free when you confirm!

This post is linked up at

Print Friendly

A note about comments:

I love 'em. Your feedback means the world to me. It keeps me going when writing gets hard. Please keep your comments coming.

Sometimes, though, because my schedule is so intense between my family, my day job, and my church, it takes me a few days to respond to comments. Not always, but sometimes, and I apologize for the delay. I get 'em right away, though, and I start praying for you right away if you've asked for prayer, and I'll respond as soon as possible.

Thank you for reading my blog!


  1. Good word Jamie! We all desire to get and keep God’s favor in our life. We want to know that He’s got us and will work all things for our good. God’s favor and direction in my life is so important. I always want to be in His will and know that “God when you move, I move. When you don’t move, I don’t.” Having His acceptance and His favor is all I want and need. Good stuff! Thank you! Keep on writing!

Speak Your Mind