My church family is mourning the loss of a precious sister today. Our orchestra (including me) will be playing the song “I Will Rise” at the celebration of her life this weekend.
This song is so poignant. Take a moment to ponder these things with me:
- Can you imagine what it must be like to pass into eternity and be suddenly free from pain, free from tears, free from the restrictions of a mortal body?
- Can you imagine what it must be like to know that you will never experience sorrow again, but will instead pass every day in perfect happiness and bliss?
- Can you imagine knowing that you are free now to worship the Father with no distractions? To know that you can stand before your Father and never have to go out of His temple again, but can remain there forever?
- Can you imagine what it must be like to join in with a mass multitude of people out of every tribe, tongue, kindred, and nation, and sing “blessing and honor and glory and power be to Him who sits on the throne, and unto the Lamb…” for a thousand years without stopping?
- Can you imagine seeing the throne of God, resting on the four living creatures, and hearing the thunder and seeing the lightning that proceed from His throne?
- Can you imagine listening to the creatures’ heartfelt cries of “Holy!” that never, ever stop… and you never, ever have to stop hearing it?
- Can you imagine what it must be like to see your Father again, knowing that you proceeded from His bosom and have returned to live with Him forever?
- Can you imagine what it must be like to know that your stay on earth was so very, very temporary… but that you will be with Jesus forever and ever and ever and ever?
At times like this, I feel the tug of the other world so strongly. The veil between the two worlds, if there at all, is very thin. His reality is so much more real than our reality.
One day, He will call my name, and I too will rise. I will join Him forever. I will find rest there, safe in the bosom of my Father who created me.
I will never have to leave my Father who formed me, who made me, who sent me to this earth for such a time as this. I’ve been missing Him, you see. Pining for Him and longing to be with Him again. That day will come whenever He chooses, and at that time I will rise. When He calls my name, I will rise.
My Father will call your name too, one day.
What will happen when He does? Will you rise to answer His call? Or will you run away, knowing that you are not ready to face a holy God? If He calls your name today, do you know for sure that you would go to Heaven?
Maybe you ask how you can know if you are ready to meet Jesus or not. You can know for sure if you will be ready to rise because Jesus said “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me.” Jesus also said, “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes on Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
If you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ—that He is God, that you have sinned against Him but that He will forgive your sins—and if you will give your life over to Him, you will be saved from eternal death and given the sweet, precious gift of eternal life.
By surrendering your life to Jesus Christ, accepting His forgiveness for everything imperfect you’ve ever done, and allowing Him to be the Lord of your life, you too can be ready to rise when He calls your name.
This post is linked up at Cornerstone Confessions.