In the word for 2019 the Lord gave me (read parts 1 and 2 here), He told me that 2019 would be like final exam week–and that the serious ones would receive everything. Well, on Saturday night, January 12, when the clock struck 12:00 AM and Sunday, January 13 started, He told me that the first final exam was beginning.
Today, I am sharing what the Lord showed me Exam #1 is all about–as well as what Papa is doing to help you through this exam.
First, what is this first final exam about?
The Lord showed me that final exam #1 is about your health.
I believe the Lord is going to move us through this year of total transformation one subject at a time. The first area of our lives He wants to transform is that of our physical health.
On Sunday morning, Holy Spirit showed me that many of us have been putting our health last. We have been spending time with the Lord, enjoying our spouses (as we should), enjoying church community, working, and caring for our children–all before we do anything to care for and maintain our health.
The result of this is that, by the time spouses, children, work duties, friends, and daily rigors of life are taken care of, no willpower remains with which to care for our health.
Brothers and sisters, we need to submit our health to the Lordship of Christ.
As I spent time with Him, the Lord showed me this list of the top priorities for my life personally:
1. One-on-one time alone with the Lord;
2 and 3. Then my health and marriage;
4. Then my son;
5. Then ministry (which is my job).
I was already putting one-on-one time alone with the Lord first. I was also already putting marriage before my son. However, I was putting my health way down the list–after things that aren’t even written here (church, home, friends, etc).
However, the Lord told me that health goes on the same line as my marriage.
If I don’t take care of my health, I won’t live long enough to enjoy, love, or help my spouse. Alternatively, if I don’t take care of my health but I do survive to live a good long life, my quality of life will be poor (because of my health) and that will not be fun for my husband.
Thus, not only does it benefit my husband right now for me to care for my health, but it also ensures that we can live a long, happy life together.
Furthermore, if I don’t take care of my health, I won’t be here for my son. And if I don’t take care of my health, I certainly won’t be strong enough to preach the Gospel, which God has called me to do.
So health impacts everything.
I realize I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know. I’m simply sharing what the Lord dealt with me about yesterday morning, on the first day of the final exam for His “Health 101” class, okay?
Next, the Lord spoke to me about meal planning.
This is very practical stuff. God isn’t always tossing out dreams and visions. He also benevolently bestows WISDOM upon us.; for without wisdom, we can’t survive. As it says in Proverbs 4:5-9:
“Get wisdom! Get understanding! Do not forget, nor turn away from the words of my mouth. Do not forsake her, and she will preserve you; love her, and she will keep you.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding. Exalt her, and she will promote you; she will bring you honor, when you embrace her. She will place on your head an ornament of grace; a crown of glory she will deliver to you.”
Wisdom is the principal thing–and the principles I am sharing here are simple downloads of wisdom.
So, about meal planning:
The Lord showed me that meal planning is essential in this season.
Meals don’t have to be elaborate, expensive, or complicated. However, if we are going to care for our health, we need to eat a variety of healthy foods that will fuel our bodies.
Planning our meals in advance is so important because our willpower tends to tank under stress.
If we are in a hurry, tired, distracted, stressed out, discouraged, or frustrated, we often punish ourselves and our bodies by eating unhealthy food. We do this because it’s the easy way out, and sometimes it’s comforting.
However, if we plan our meals in advance, we make it easier to stick with our plan and eat healthy food than it is to deviate from the plan and come up with something original (and unhealthy).
So, I got out my planner and added stickers to each day this week for meal plans.
With Holy Spirit’s help, I then added simple meal ideas for breakfast, lunch, and dinner each day. I had to Google up a few recipe ideas; I ended up finding the recipes I needed for free on This Savory Vegan! (Thank you to Rene at that website for her delicious meal plans and ideas!)
Then, the Lord began talking to me about structure and routine.
I knew I had to make time for exercise every day, starting today. I’ve known that I needed to exercise for a long time. However, I never really could figure out how to fit it in my schedule.
Well, He showed me: I must fit exercise into my schedule by establishing a routine every single day, and I must stick with that routine come what may.
Some people will tell you that a strict routine eliminates fun and freedom–but the opposite is true.
A strict routine actually empowers fun and freedom. A strict routine gives you the opportunity every single day to thrive; to live according to God’s Word and according to your priorities, within the guidelines found in that Word. A strict routine allows you to say “no” to time-suckers that don’t match God’s plan for your life, including other people’s expectations.
And since joy is found in the presence of God, establishing a routine that keeps you in God’s perfect will for you at all times actually fills you with joy.
For me, the Lord showed me very specifically what routine I need to establish.
He was very specific about what time I was to begin my day; what I was to do first; and how various parts of the day would be structured. (By the way, I have followed His routine the last several days, and it has already helped me a lot!)
Then, suddenly, His anointing hit me–and I found myself drawn to the kitchen.
In order to understand how huge this was, you need to know that I don’t usually cook. I have never liked to cook, so we default to ready-made, microwavable food around here. (Yes, I know; this is a problem. That’s why the Lord is dealing with me.)
But Sunday morning, at 5:30 AM, after I had been receiving Father’s downloads for a few minutes, God’s divine empowerment hit me and I suddenly felt inspiration and motivation well up inside me with power. I went into my kitchen, where I proceeded to make a huge batch of black bean burgers (from scratch)–AND a quadruple batch of seitan (wheat meat), also from scratch.
It was a massive amount of food. And I cooked under the anointing for 2.5 hours. I felt God the whole time; it was the weirdest thing!
While I cooked, the Lord continued to remind me of His Word about health.
One of the big Scriptures He brought to my memory was Hebrews 12:14-17, which says:
“Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord: looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled;
lest there be any fornicator or profane person like Esau, who for one morsel of food sold his birthright. For you know that afterward, when he wanted to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no place for repentance, though he sought it diligently with tears” (Hebrews 12:14-17).
Esau sacrificed his inheritance for food. Later, when he regretted his decision, it was too late. He could not get that inheritance back.
How many of us are doing the exact same thing?
Are we exchanging our inheritances for our comfort food?
Each of us has an inheritance from the Lord. The details of your inheritance look different than mine, and the details of mine look different than yours. However, the Bible says that the Lord desires to give ALL of us the following:
- A long and satisfying life;
- Perfect health and vitality;
- Strong eyesight and strong muscles;
- The blessing of seeing our children and children’s children;
- A fulfilling marriage if you want one;
- Children if you want them;
- Powerful ministry;
- Financial prosperity; and
- Victory in every area.
But without good health, we cannot experience these things.
And one of the biggest reasons our health is failing is because of our own decisions–especially regarding the things we put in our mouths.
Remember 1 Corinthians 6:19-20:
“Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.”
Your body belongs to God. It is where Holy Spirit dwells, and we are to glorify Him in our bodies.
Lord, have mercy.
These are sobering truths, but Holy Spirit is present right now to heal.
The first thing He wants to heal is our sinful mindset:
- That mindset that says we can do anything, and there will be no consequences.
- That mindset that says we can eat anything, and there will be no consequences.
- The mindset that says we can obey some of His commands (like loving Him and worshipping Him), but we don’t have to bother with others (like those commands about caring for our bodies).
- The mindset that says we cannot obey Him–that His commandments and principles are too hard.
- The mindset that puts our fleshly desires and preferences for food and unhealthy activities above His Lordship.
Let’s be honest: If we have health problems that are our own fault, we have a Lordship issue.
We have to look at these things for what they are. I have to, and so do each of us. (Yes, so do you!) Because if we have hurt our own health by failing to care for our bodies, we have disobeyed God. We have idolized self and flesh, elevating self and flesh above God in our hearts.
We have enthroned the idols of food, flesh, and laziness above the Lordship of Jesus Christ.
Something about the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life is coming to mind here.
Lord Jesus, have mercy. Please forgive us.
I choose now, today, to submit this area of my life to the Lordship of Jesus. Will you make the same choice?
Whatever we do should be for the glory of God. As it says in 1 Corinthians 10:31:
“Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.”
Lord Jesus, help us.
As we surrender to Him in this area, Holy Spirit is also present to help:
- He’s providing inspiration and motivation to follow His Lordship as we walk through our day, in our practical decisions.
- He’ll show you how to eat.
- He’ll teach you how to plan your meals.
- He’ll show you how to exercise, what to do, and when to do it.
- He’s restructuring our days and schedules so we can put first things first–if we will follow Him.
- He’s providing creative resources that we can use to motivate and encourage ourselves. (Motivation and encouragement are from the Lord. Joy and fun are from the Lord. Never think this adventure has to be dry, stale, or hard. Dryness, staleness, and hardship are NOT the Lord’s plan for you!)
- He’s providing the help we need to implement these changes in our lives.
Do you want this? He is eager to help you if you will receive it!
If you want this, let’s pray:
“Father God, I come to You in Jesus’ mighty name.
Father, thank You that Your Word says if I confess my sins, You are faithful and just to forgive me my sins, and to cleanse me from all unrighteousness. Thank You that Your Holy Spirit dwells in me to reveal Jesus and Your righteousness to me, and to convict me of my sin when I need it. Thank You that Your mercies are new every morning, and great is Your faithfulness to me.
Father, You are being faithful right now to convict me of my sins in the matter of my health.
You are doing this so that I can live long and prosper; so that I can receive all the inheritances You have ordained for my life. You are so good and faithful to me, and I thank You.
Father God, I choose to confess my sins to You right now:
- I confess that I have sinned and done wickedly by elevating my self and fleshly desires above Your commands.
- I have sinned and disobeyed Your command that I should glorify You with my body.
- I have sinned and disobeyed Your command that I should do everything for Your glory.
- I have sinned by trading so many years and moments of my health and prosperous inheritance for the momentary and fleeting pleasure of food.
- I have sinned by not being faithful and diligent to steward the gift of good health that You have given me, preferring in my sin to be lazy and sedentary instead.
Father, please forgive me. I repent. I’m so sorry I have been disobeying You, and I’m sorry I hurt You.
Lord, I choose to make a new start today. Please help me.
Dear Father, fill me with Your Holy Spirit anew and afresh. Have me for Yourself. I surrender Lordship of my life to You again right now, in every way–including in my health.
Please give life to my mortal body right now through Your Spirit. Help me to submit to You with every bite of food I put in my mouth, and with every bit of liquid I drink. Convict me of this so strongly that, with every bite and every swallow, I will think, “How can I honor God with my body right now?” and that this will be the pervading thought of my life from this day forward.
Father God, I ask also that You would fill me with motivation and inspiration to exercise the way You want me to.
I need to get up and move, Father, and I need Your help to do it. Again, convict me. Keep me on a short leash, Lord. Every moment of every day, convict me. Help me to move and be active. Help me to exercise the way You want me to, every single day.
Lord, Your Word says that well people have no need of a physician, but those who are sick do.
So because You have said You will provide all my needs, for every area in which I have need, I ask also that You would help me to obtain all the medical care I need:
- Help me make wise decisions concerning my medical care, body, and health.
- Help me to take all the medications I need to take, undergo any procedures I need to undergo, and to see all the doctors I need to see.
- Provide access to all the help, testing, examinations, and medical care that are Your will for me–and convict me to follow up on them.
Lord, help me to exercise wisdom in my medical care–and HEAL ME from the top of my head to the soles of my feet as I do.
And Father, as I submit my life and health to Your total Lordship, bless me, heal me, and strengthen my body.
- Lengthen my days and strengthen my years.
- Extend my life so that I can see more of my children and children’s children, even to the fourth generation or beyond.
- Make me strong and healthy.
- Heal my body.
- Reverse any damage that has been done.
- Restore to me everything the enemy stole from me–with interest–and make me ten times stronger than I ever was before.
- Help me to receive all the inheritance You have for me, Lord.
- Help me to have FUN on this journey of obeying You. Fill me with Your joy, Father, each and every day.
- And most importantly, may You be glorified and lifted up in my body and in every aspect of my health.
In Jesus’ name, amen.”
Is Holy Spirit speaking to your heart about this word as well? If so, please leave a comment below! I’d love to hear what He is saying to you!