Have you ever felt like your prayers didn't matter? Have you ever wondered if God even heard you at all?
Maybe you've prayed and prayed and nothing seems to be happening. Maybe you've gotten discouraged. Or, maybe you're brand new to prayer and so you're just trying to figure it all out. Prayer might not feel comfortable to you yet, and you might not be certain it even does any good.
Oh, but it does, dear friend.
Do you have any idea how much good your prayers do?
Do you have any idea how important your prayers are?
- Your prayers are so important that God gives His promises over and over in Scripture that He will answer them.
- Your prayers are so important that God says that His house–His temple, His church building–shall be called a house of prayer.
- According to Daniel 10 and 11, your prayers are so important that they shake Heaven and earth. Your prayers move angels and vanquish demons.
But most moving of all…
God actually keeps your prayers in Heaven. He stores them up, and they rise before Him as incense continually.
The book of Revelation tells us so. Look at Revelation 5:8:
Now when He had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each having a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints” (emphasis mine).
The twenty-four elders who are seated before God the Father are holding golden bowls full of your prayers and mine.
We see this again in Revelation 8:3:
Then another angel, having a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense, that he should offer with the prayers of all the saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne” (emphasis mine).
In this scene, an angel in Heaven is offering the prayers of the saints upon the altar before the throne of God as an offering to God.
You know why this is so powerful?
Because God hears your prayers the first time you pray them. He hears and answers. The answers might not come right away, but God answers! And yet, in this scene, we see the prayers of the saints–your prayers and mine–being offered to God not just for the original answer, but over and over again!
Your prayers are so important that God actually keeps them, and they are offered up to Him over and over as a continual sacrifice.
That means the prayers that great men and women of God throughout the ages have prayed are still being offered. It means the prayers of St. John of the Cross, Count Zinzendorf, Charles Finney, and D.L. Moody are still being offered. It means the prayers that your great-great-grandmother, your grandmother, and your mother prayed are still being offered to God.
It means YOUR prayers are continually offered to God.
Yes, that's right. YOUR prayers.
- The prayers you prayed out of the agony of your spirit, when you felt nobody cared and nobody listened.
- The prayers you prayed when you used to be on fire for God, even if you're not feeling very fiery anymore.
- The prayers you prayed for your spouse this morning, yesterday morning, and every morning for the last 20 years…
THOSE prayers are still being offered to God.
Have you ever thought your prayers weren't important?
My friend, your prayers thunder in Heaven.
- Your prayers are being stored in golden bowls in Heaven.
- Your prayers transcend time and space.
- Your prayers are ascending into the nostrils of God as sweet incense.
Your prayers are being offered as a sweet offering to God Most High, who sits on the throne forever.
Your prayers matter.
When you feel like you didn't break through, your prayers matter. When it was hard to pray, your prayers matter. When you felt inadequate and inept at prayer, your prayers matter.
So keep praying. Pray, for God hears you. Pray, for He answers. Pray, for He keeps your prayers before His throne.
What do you need to pray about today?