Receiving Spiritual Mantles From Other People
Would you like to receive spiritual gifts and anointings that you see in other people? Would you like to have a portion of, or even double, the giftings of some of the heroes of faith of olden times?
By receiving spiritual mantles from other people.
What is a spiritual mantle?
A “spiritual mantle” is a calling, gift, passion, ability, anointing, skill set, or level of authority that God has given a specific person. For example:
- Jonathan Edwards had a mantle for preaching salvation. Even though he read his sermons (as was the custom of the day), people fell under the power of the Holy Spirit and the First Great Awakening ensued.
- Charles Finney had a mantle for prayer and preaching. God used him to birth the Second Great Awakening. Finney’s anointing–and the Presence that he carried–were so powerful that he would ride through towns without even getting off the train, and revival would break out in those towns. He would walk into factories, and the workers would fall to their knees and confess their sins to God before Finney would say a word.
- Kathryn Kuhlman had a special relationship with the Holy Spirit. She carried a mantle for preaching the Word, with confirmation by the Holy Spirit through healings and miracles.
- A.W. Tozer carried a mantle for seeing God as He really is in the third Heaven, and communicating what he saw to earth.
How can you receive spiritual mantles from other people?
Receiving a spiritual mantle from your spiritual father is an essential part of growing as a spiritual son or daughter. Here’s how to actually get those mantles:
1. Become a student of your father’s life.
This works whether your spiritual father is alive or dead. He or she does not have to be alive in order for God to give you an impartation of the mantle your father carried.
For example, one of my heroes is Charles Finney. My life has been GREATLY influenced by his. I’ve never met him; he died in 1875. However, I have become a student of Finney’s life. I read his books. I read his journals and biographies.
A couple of years ago, I traveled to Oberlin, Ohio, to visit his grave. While I was there, I asked God to give me everything Finney had that is also God’s plan for me. (Papa totally changed my life after that, by the way.:))
I am learning from other people as well. I listen to preachers and teachers who have already been where I want to go; who have revelation that I need and want to learn. I’ve never met many of the people I listen to, but they still become spiritual fathers in my life because I am learning and benefiting from their legacies.
You place someone in the role of spiritual father when you honor him or her as an example and hero in your life. When you do that, you can ask God and He will give you an impartation from your father’s life.
2. Emulate your spiritual father in every godly way.
A son imitates his father. Hebrews 13:7-9a instructs us to “Remember those who rule over you, who have spoken the word of God to you, whose faith follow, considering the outcome of their conduct. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Do not be carried about with various and strange doctrines….”
Too often, we tend to think that the instructions in Hebrews 13:7-9 are a collection of seemingly disparate ideas, almost like a chain of individual Proverbs. However, this is not the case.
This passage is actually telling us to imitate our spiritual fathers, because the truths they taught us will not change. When we review the passage above in context, we see that the author was telling us:
- That what worked for our fathers will work for us.
- The truths our leaders taught us are still true for us.
- Because Christ doesn’t change, neither does His doctrine.
- Therefore, we should not allow strange, new doctrines to carry us away from truth.
- We are to stick with the truths taught by our fathers; and
- We are to imitate our spiritual fathers in doctrine, faith, and conduct.
If you want to receive an impartation of what God has given your spiritual father, you need to live out this passage every day. For example:
- Listen intently as your father teaches, take the instruction to heart, and act on it.
- Notice the prayer life of your father and try to imitate it.
- Dig into the truths your father teaches you. Seek to understand those truths more clearly, so you can grow like your father has grown.
Emulating your father in every godly way changes you and honors your father. When you do that, God will honor you and bless you with more of the mantle your father carries.
3. Ask God to give you everything your spiritual father has/had that He desires you to also have.
When I went to visit Finney’s grave, I didn’t ask God to turn me into Charles Finney. I’m not Finney and never can be. However, I do want everything Finney had that lines up with God’s purposes for my life!
What mantle does your father carry that you also desire to have? Ask God for it! A spiritual mantle at its core is the functioning of the Holy Spirit in your life, and Jesus promised that our Father would give us the Holy Spirit for the asking! (Luke 11:13: “If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”)
So ask! Ask! Ask! God honors bold requests. He answers specific prayers. Ask God for a double portion of His Spirit that was in Finney, Tozer, Moody, Edwards, or others. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by asking.
Do you desire spiritual mantles from other people?
You should. It’s a godly desire. It’s how spiritual fatherhood and sonship work. Elisha asked Elijah, his spiritual father, for a double portion of his spirit before he was taken to Heaven (2 Kings 2:9). He got it, too!
So don’t delay! Ask God for the mantles you desire! Ask Him for the gifts and anointings you desire! Then become a student of your spiritual father’s life and emulate him or her in every godly way.
As you do that, you will receive an impartation from your father’s life. You can receive the spiritual mantle you desire.
Whose mantle will you ask God for today?
Thank you. I enjoyed reading this. I was told that others will impart within me and I will also impart within others. impartations is the word I was told. Today my pastor told me that I have call annoiting on my life and he’s releasing a portion of his mantel over me.
Funny thing is….I was gping to ask him and I didnt even need to…He knew. He imparted in my life Like I told people would.
Thank you so much. am blessed
At my husband’s funeral his gifts were passed to me. Frank prayed for someone to pass them on to because his children would not follow in his steps. I can sometimes feel his presence in my daily walk. To God be all the glory.
That’s pretty cool! Thank you for sharing!
It’s so cool how everybody manifests differently with their gifts and angels. Even Elisha’s mantel was 2x extreme as his fathers.
I now know that i walk in my fathers mantle and more. He was a skilled long caring man who was a gift and when he was present you knew. My passion for missions and to serve those who are lost is a huge burden that i feel daily. I grieve when there is division.
Woow i love this book or the teaching it has help me alot
Excellent teaching and encouragement!!!
Very helpful, I love this article! Bless you!
Thank you for this great information be blessed this has helped me a lot.
this is great ,we growing into the fullness of christ
What an inspiring article. Indeed am desirous to operate in the supernatural power of God. Thanks and more about impartation.
Thank you Jamie, your article some questions I had, God bless
Thanks so much,I am blessed
Thanks a lot for sharing. I have been imparted
I am blessed, I am strenghtened. Thanks
This teaching is literally life changing! Thank you & God bless you abundantly!