I just finished reading A.W. Tozer’s classic book, “The Pursuit of God.” I am floored by what I read.
This book is only 121 pages and 10 chapters, but it’s a 10-course buffet for the starving soul. Tozer packed more meat—more thrill, more depth, more sustenance—into his 121 pages than most folks could pack into three times that.
Somehow, in “The Pursuit of God,” Tozer spoke directly to my heart in a way that few people or books ever could. Almost every chapter made tears well up in my eyes. His words were exactly how I felt, and I might not even have been able to put my own thoughts into words. But he summed them up perfectly and left me in tears, crying out to my Heavenly Father for more intimacy with Him.
You can sense Tozer’s longing to be with the Father through this book, and reading it makes you feel the same way.
Some of my favorite quotes from various chapters are:
- “We have almost forgotten that God is a person and, as such, can be cultivated as any person can.” (page 13)
- “[God] meant us to see Him and live with Him and draw our life from His smile.” (page 32)
- “The world is perishing for lack of the knowledge of God and the Church is famishing for want of His presence.” (page 36)
- “If we cooperate with Him in loving obedience, God will manifest Himself to us, and that manifestation will be the difference between a nominal Christian life and a life radiant with the light of His face.” (page 60)
- “God was our original habitat and our hearts cannot but feel at home when they enter again that ancient and beautiful abode.” (page 98)
“The Pursuit of God” explains some things for those of us who have ever felt like we don’t belong. Your home is in the heart of the Father. If you feel like you don’t fit in in this world, it’s because you really don’t. Tozer talks about that in detail.
This book will not only help you understand God better, but it will also help you understand yourself better. The chapter titles are as follows:
- Following Hard After God
- The Blessedness of Possessing Nothing
- Removing the Veil
- Apprehending God
- The Universal Presence
- The Speaking Voice
- The Gaze of the Soul
- Restoring the Creator-Creature Relation
- Meekness and Rest
- The Sacrament of Living
I highlighted and underlined like crazy all through this book. The chapters “Removing the Veil” and “The Universal Presence” alone are worth reading the whole book for.
The links above are to The Pursuit of God with the Study Guide. As of this writing, it’s selling for $10.87 on Amazon.
You can also get The Pursuit of God without the study guide (although the cover is not as pretty) right now for $2.78 on Amazon.
You can get The Pursuit of God audiobook right now for $16.49.
And you can get The Pursuit of God (Kindle version) for FREE, as of the date of this post.
This is a book every Christian should read. So please, pick one of these versions and read it. You will be so inspired, so encouraged, and so filled with the love of your Creator. This book will help you become more aware of the presence of God.
Note: The links above are my Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase this book using these links, Amazon will pay me a small commission (at no additional cost to you of course). Thanks in advance!