This post is part 10 of my series entitled “Bible Boot Camp,” which teaches through systematic theology in everyday language. Click on the series link to read the other Bible Boot Camp lessons!
Did you know that Jesus gives us three different kinds of life?
We often think of life as just being the ability to breathe and have a heartbeat. However, in the Bible, “life” means so much more than just breathing! There are actually three different kinds of life: life for the spirit, life for the soul, and life for the body. When Adam and Eve sinned, they lost all three kinds of life (meaning they died three kinds of death). However, thank God! Jesus died so we could live again!
So today we’re going to look at:
- how Adam and Eve lost all three kinds of life when they brought the human race into sin; and
- how Jesus gives all three kinds of life back to us!
First, here’s how Adam and Eve died three different ways:
Have you ever noticed that God told Adam and Eve that they would die if they ate from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil… but Adam ate, and lived to be 930 years old (Genesis 5:5)? That seems a bit strange at first glance, doesn’t it?
However, the Bible tells us that they really did die, and at the very moment they ate the forbidden fruit.
1. They experienced death of the spirit:
When Adam and Eve sinned, they immediately lost their intimacy with God. This is the death of the spirit because they were eternally separated from God, their Source of life. God is spirit (John 4:24), and our spirit must be connected to Him in order to have life.
2. They experienced death of the soul:
Your soul is made up of your mind, will, and emotions. When Adam and Eve chose sin over God, their minds, will, and emotions were instantly debased.
- Their minds had been pure, holy, and centered on God… but they became corrupt and centered on self instead.
- Their will had been perfectly lined up in obedience to the Father… but when they sinned, they turned their will over to serve themselves instead.
- Their emotions had been full of joy, peace, and love… but sin filled their emotions with fear, apprehension, regret, and spite.
3. They experienced death of the body:
The moment Adam and Eve sinned, their bodies lost their earthly immortality and started to decay. (Can you imagine how amazing their physical bodies must have been, to take over 900 years to fully decay?)
Many years later, their actual cessation of breathing and resulting burial was just the culmination of the death they experienced when they first sinned.
But now the good news: Jesus gives us all three kinds of life back!
Jesus is so amazing. He knew that our sin brought all this death upon us, so He came to earth, suffered on a Roman cross, died, and rose again so that we could have eternal life. Not just one kind of life, but all three kinds of life! In John 10:10, Jesus tells us:
“The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.”
1. Jesus gives you life in your spirit:
When you receive Jesus as your Savior, the Holy Spirit comes to dwell in your spirit. He fills you up with Himself. Since He is the Source of Life, having the Holy Spirit in your spirit means you become alive again! Thank You, Jesus!
2. Jesus gives you life in your soul:
Remember that your soul just means your mind, will, and emotions, collectively. When you receive Jesus and His Holy Spirit into your life, your mind, will, and emotions are radically transformed:
- You actually inherit the mind of Christ (1 Corinthians 2:16). You start to think like Christ. Your mind returns to being centered on God, instead of self.
- Your will comes into tune with the Father. You may not act perfectly on every occasion at first, but you desire to do so! (When before you desired to serve yourself, instead of the Father.) You will progressively get better at obeying Father’s will as the Holy Spirit works in your heart, making you more like Jesus.
- Your emotions get filled with love, joy, peace, patience, faithfulness, gentleness, kindness, humility, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23).
Receiving life into your soul will change your entire existence!
3. Jesus gives you life in your body:
- He heals your body from physical ailments, pain, and afflictions. Isaiah 53:5 tells us, “But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement for our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed.” If you need physical healing in your body, Jesus can and will heal you.
- He gives you eternal life in Heaven with Him (John 3:16; 1 Thessalonians 4:17).
- If you physically die before He comes back, He will raise you from the dead at His return. First Corinthians 15:51-53 tells us, “Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed—in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.”
Abundant life is the essence of the Gospel. Jesus restores us to perfect fellowship with the Father. He restores our souls to the beauty, peace, and perfection that Father intended us to have. And He gives us physical life in our bodies, so that we will live with Him in Heaven forever.
Have you received these three kinds of life in Jesus? If not, won’t you do so today? Click here to find out how to receive life for your spirit, soul, and body in Jesus Christ!