If you’re lonely and discouraged today, you are not alone. Many precious souls are in this place in the Body of Christ. But you know what? Loneliness and discouragement are NOT God’s will for you. He loves you too much to leave you in that place.
So how do we get out of loneliness and discouragement? By praying for three things.
The Lord spoke these three prayer directives to me recently, and I began praying them immediately. Since I began praying for these three things, Father God has done amazing things in answer to these prayers.
Here are the three prayers:
1. Pray for God to send the people to you that He desires to be prophets to you and prophesy into your life.
I got this from watching a Lou Engle sermon recently, and I started praying it right away. It’s a powerful prayer because:
- Every believer needs people who will speak positive things into his or her life.
- Everyone needs somebody who will see you with Spirit eyes.
- Everyone needs someone to remind them of God’s greater vision and plan for them as individuals–especially when we get discouraged.
So pray. Ask God to send you the people whom He wants to be your prophets.
When I started praying this, God’s answers freaked me out:
- Leaders and teachers who had moved away years ago, with whom I had lost touch, came back into my life.
- People who have prophesied reliably to me before–who truly love me and care about me–began seeking me out, even when it was inconvenient, to encourage me.
- A pastor friend of mine was driving through the parking lot, saw me, stopped and got out of his car to encourage me and speak into my life.
- Friends who have permission to speak into my life began getting prophetic words of encouragement for me out of nowhere, right when I needed them.
It has been awesome. So pray for God to send you your prophets.
Also, pray for God to send you to the people for whom He desires YOU to be a prophet. Freely as you have received, freely give, right? So as you’re being encouraged, it’s only right to encourage others. Ask God to send you to the people that He has for you positive encouragement to speak into their lives.
2. Ask God to send you a posse to run with.
We were not made to do life alone. We were not made to run this race of life alone. Life is too hard for that, and we were born for community.
Even the most introverted among us. 🙂
So you need a posse. I need a posse.
I don’t mean the kind of posse that chased down bank robbers in the Wild, Wild West. 🙂 I mean the kind of posse that gets you. The kind of posse that’s a lot like you (although they don’t need to be just like you). The kind of people you can talk to, share your life with, and do fun things with–as well as seek God with.
- You need people that you can tell if you have a bad day.
- You need people you can tell if you have a great day.
- You need a posse you can tell if something great happens.
- You need a posse that loves to do what you do, so you can run in life together.
This is a vital need. You need this. I need it.
Oh, how I need it.
And Facebook doesn’t count. So ask Father to send you a posse to run with!
3. Ask God to send you a prayer partner.
You need somebody to pray with. Somebod-ies would be even better! But ask God to send you at least one person who will pray with you:
- Someone whom you can tell your deepest needs and desires, and who also tells you theirs.
- Somebody that you can sit across the table from and bow your heads together and weep together before the Lord if necessary, imploring His help.
- Somebody who doesn’t mind admitting their own needs, so you can both acknowledge your neediness together, looking together to Father for answers.
You need a prayer partner. Ask Father.
James 1:17: “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.”
Psalm 84:11: “For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord will give grace and glory; no good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly.”
Beloved, if you’re lonely and discouraged, ask God to send you your prophets. Ask Him to give you a posse to run with. And pray for a prayer partner.
Does this word resonate with you? If so, please leave a comment below. I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Would you help me with my work of reaching people for Jesus as a domestic missionary? This blog, and all of my mission work in person, are made possible through your partnerships, donations, and product purchases.
If you’d like to help me, please check out the partnership details and products available for sale here. And, thank you in advance for helping make this blog and everything we do together for the Kingdom possible!