Dear Presence seekers, I’ll tell you right up front that this might be a topic that is hard to face; challenging to think about. But if you desire to walk in your destiny, I pray you will read it anyway. It’s about paying the price to walk in God’s call on your life–your destiny.
Here’s the thing about destiny:
- Destiny doesn’t look like you waking up one morning and someone suddenly calling on you to do your thing, out of nowhere.
- Destiny doesn’t look like sudden success to anybody except people who don’t know you or have never seen you before.
- Destiny doesn’t look like someone suddenly taking notice of your natural gift, and voilà, God opens a door for you.
It doesn’t work like that. There’s not going to be a moment when, out of nowhere, God blasts you to stardom. Opportunity is not going to knock all of a sudden, and Ed McMahon is not coming.
(For my international friends: The late Ed McMahon was famous for promoting a publishing & sweepstakes company. He was in television commercials in which he and others from the publishing company would show up unannounced at people’s doors, carrying big checks for large amounts of money.)
Here’s what destiny does look like:
- Destiny looks like your butt in the chair at 5 AM, doing the work.
- Destiny looks like hours behind your piano, guitar, violin, whatever, honing and practicing and perfecting your craft.
- Destiny looks like saying no to lots of dinner dates, nights out, movies that you could have watched, so you can #dothework.
- Destiny looks like going for a walk when you’d rather sit.
Destiny looks like a million tiny choices that only appear to impact that moment–but in reality, each choice is a deposit in the bank account of Your Destiny.
And the biggest thing destiny looks like is STARTING NOW.
Nothing will ever happen if you don’t start. And when I say ever, I mean ever. Ever, ever, ever. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zero.
And “sometime” doesn’t count. “Sometime” in reality translates to “no time,” for it’s always at some distant, and unknown, point in the future. Nothing happens for those who will start sometime.
Destiny only happens for those who decide they are starting NOW.
Rome wasn’t built in a day, and neither can your destiny be built in a day. It will take time, and progress may seem slow for awhile. But the most important thing is to start, and to do one thing each day.
Your one thing can be simple. Tiny, even. For example:
- It can be making one phone call.
- Filling out one college application.
- Writing one paragraph on that book.
- Spending 10 minutes perfecting one line of lyrics for that one song.
One thing a day is just fine. If you do just one thing a day, then in one month–two months, ten months, one year–you will be so much further along that your life will look unrecognizable. Simply because you started. Opportunities WILL knock–not out of nowhere, but:
- out of a hundred 5 AM work sessions.
- Out of a hundred bodybuilding workouts.
- Out of a hundred versions of that chorus you wrote.
Opportunity does knock, and suddenlies do happen. But they don’t happen out of nowhere. They only look like they do because nobody sees what you’re doing behind the scenes–the hours in the gym, the hours with the piano, the hours of writing 500 words at a time.
I understand that sometimes you may have an off day.
Some days you might be so exhausted that your body just needs you to crash on the couch and snore away, so you can get some rest. I get that.
Some days–most often on Fridays–I am just beyond tired. Wiped. Tuckered out. Finis. Nothing left. I work really hard every day, including Saturday and Sunday, and often by the time Friday rolls around, I crash.
But that’s okay. I earn it. I’ve been working a massive amount, and I don’t mind crashing. The principle of rest is an essential Biblical principle. I’m not saying you shouldn’t rest; you must rest. Rest reinvigorates, re-energizes, and heals your body, soul (mind + will + emotions), and spirit.
But beloved, your destiny isn’t going to happen unless you make it happen.
We Christians get too much into this “God will promote me” thing. It’s true that promotion comes from God. Psalm 75 says so; and you can pray this Biblical prayer for promotion here; it’s powerful.
But we tend to forget the parallel truths:
- that it’s the plans of the diligent that prosper (Proverbs 21:5);
- that we should be diligent to make our calling and election sure (2 Peter 1:10);
- that we should study to show ourselves approved unto God, workmen and workwomen that do not need to be ashamed (2 Timothy 2:15); and
- that the Kingdom of Heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force (Matthew 11:12).
Both are true.
It’s also true that we have to be sensitive to God about what to do when.
Has God specifically told you to work hard at what you’re already doing right now, and not to try to start a side thing or pursue another calling? Awesome. Be diligent at whatever you’re doing; take care of your finances; and do everything you can to get into a stable and prosperous place where you are.
Then ask Papa what’s next.
But equally true is the fact that if God has laid anything on your heart that you’re NOT already doing, it’s. not. going. to. happen. unless. you. start.
And unless you’re willing to pay the price.
Because, beloved, there is always a price to be paid for your destiny. And destiny starts as soon as, and not until, you decide to start paying the price.
And your progress toward your destiny is directly proportionate to:
- when you pay the price;
- how consistently you pay the price;
- and how much of the price you are willing to pay.
There is a price to be paid.
A price of sweat. A price of labor. A price of sacrificing things that are only now in order to gain things that are forever.
It works the same whether you’re pursuing intimacy with God, a ministry or calling of some sort; an education; or even building a business. Same thing.
And if you will not DECIDE to start paying the price, you will not see progress. But you WILL see progress–measurable, beautiful, oh-so-encouraging progress–as soon as you decide to start.
Then start again tomorrow. And the next day. And the day after that. One lift at a time. One rep at a time. One glorious bead of sweat at a time. One butt-in-chair-at-5-AM session at a time.
You can do it. This is your wake-up call.
Are you willing to start paying the price today?
Want free equipping? Sign up for my free, online equipping program–Presence Seekers University–and get my FREE Supernatural Lifestyle Toolkit as my gift to you!
You’ll get an email when new content is posted, as well as exclusive prophetic words, teaching material, and more. You’ll also receive my new Supernatural Lifestyle Toolkit (a $28 value) for free when you confirm!