Do you long for more communion and intimacy with God? Do you long to experience more of His manifest presence?
Do you want to feel His touch and hear His heartbeat every moment of every day?
If so, the Answer for which you’ve been longing is not a thing or a new strategy. The Answer is actually a Person: the Holy Spirit Himself.
Today, we’re starting a new series about the Holy Spirit.
We’re going to talk about Him in small chunks, because I want to make it easy to get to know Him. He is worth all our love and attention! 🙂 And as you read, I pray that Jesus and the Father would draw you into such an intimate relationship with the Holy Spirit that everything in your life changes.
Who is the Holy Spirit?
The Holy Spirit is the third Person of the Godhead. He is One with the Father and the Son, and He is a Person Himself also.
Getting to Know the Sevenfold Holy Spirit: A 12-Day Devotional Guide
Get the book and focus on communion with God’s Holy Spirit for 12 days! Remember that He is your Helper, Comforter, and Advocate. You can’t truly know God without knowing His Holy Spirit!
We know the Holy Spirit is a Person because Jesus referred to the Holy Spirit as a “He” and taught us about the Holy Spirit’s personality, nature, and unique role in the Christian’s life. Jesus taught us who the Holy Spirit is and what He would do for us.
And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever–the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you” (John 14:16-18).
There are a lot of other Scriptures about the Holy Spirit’s personality and role, and we’ll talk more about that in future posts. However, for today, I want to focus on the fact that He is God.
How do we know the Holy Spirit is God?
In the passage above, Jesus promised “another Helper.” The word for “another” there is the Greek “allos,” meaning “another of the same kind.” It means that the Holy Spirit would be exactly “of the same kind” as Jesus. Not different, which would be “hetero,” but the same.
Because Jesus referred to the Holy Spirit as “another of the same kind” as Himself, we see right away that the Holy Spirit is God.
This is not the only verse in the Bible that tells us the Holy Spirit is God. However, this verse contains one of the simplest passages explaining who He is. The Holy Spirit is Another of the same kind as Jesus. He is an Additional One just like Jesus.
- He is holy, just like Jesus.
- He is pure, just like Jesus.
- He is perfect, just like Jesus.
- He is love. He loves you and me unconditionally, just like Jesus.
- He is everything beautiful, just like Jesus.
- He is worthy of our adoration, just like Jesus.
- He is worthy to be worshipped, just like Jesus.
- He merits our obedience, just like Jesus.
- He is unendingly merciful, just like Jesus.
Oh the precious Holy Spirit! How I love Him! He’s so beautiful and precious. He truly is like that treasure in the field. He is worth any price.
So what’s the takeaway for today?
Here are the three things I’d like you to remember today:
- The Holy Spirit is God.
- The Holy Spirit is a Person, with a specific personality. (Begin to anticipate getting to know Him for Himself, just like you would any other Person! And we’ll talk more about His personality later.)
- The Holy Spirit is Another of the same kind as Jesus.
Here’s your assignment for today:
Begin to think about the Holy Spirit with the same reverence you have toward Jesus. Ask the Father to help you love the Holy Spirit like He and Jesus love the Holy Spirit.
Pray this with me:
“Dear Heavenly Father,
I come before You in Jesus’ name. Father, I love You and want to know You more. I want to know Jesus more, and I want to know the Holy Spirit more.
But Father, I need Your help. Starting today, please help me to get to know the Holy Spirit. Help me to love Him like You and Jesus love Him. Help me to honor and revere Him like You do, and to know Him for the Person that He is.
Thank You, Father God. In Jesus’ name, amen.”
Do you long to know the Holy Spirit better? Please leave a comment below. I’d love to hear from you!
Read the rest of the series here:
- Who Is the Holy Spirit?
- How Do You Get the Holy Spirit?
- Getting to Know the Holy Spirit: The Holy Spirit Is Generous!
- The Sevenfold Holy Spirit: The Spirit of Yahweh
- The Sevenfold Holy Spirit: The Spirit of Wisdom
- The Sevenfold Holy Spirit: The Spirit of Understanding
- The Sevenfold Holy Spirit: The Spirit of Counsel
- The Sevenfold Holy Spirit: The Spirit of Might Is On Your Side
- The Sevenfold Holy Spirit: The Spirit of Knowledge Gives Life-Changing Revelation
- The Sevenfold Holy Spirit: The Spirit of the Fear of the Lord