Want to experience continuous victory in spiritual warfare? You can! As a spiritual warlord, you have special, covert-yet-outrageously-powerful forms of warfare at your disposal. And if you engage in these forms of warfare, you’ll win every time.
We’ve already talked about how to use the Word of God–your #1 tool as a warlord–and the power of your testimony. Today we’re going to talk about three specific forms of warfare that will bring you victory in every battle, the rest of your life:
1. The warfare of intimacy with God:
Seeking God daily in the secret place–just you and God, alone together–is THE most powerful form of warfare.
When you seek God, you learn to live constantly aware of His Presence. Through the sheer power of spending time with Him, yearning for Him, absorbing His Word into your heart, and seeking Him alone, you learn to walk with an awareness and sensitivity to Him every moment of every day.
By seeking God one-on-one, you develop intimacy with Him. You become plugged into Him like a baby is plugged into his or her mother in the womb through the umbilical cord. You will receive your life from Him.
And as your intimacy with Him grows, you’ll learn to stay plugged into Him every moment of every day. And staying plugged into God is the ultimate warfare.
Why intimacy with God is the ultimate warfare:
Psalm 91 tells us that when you dwell in the secret place of the Most High and confess your trust in Him as your God, your Refuge and your Fortress, God fights your battles for you. Check out this whole list of promises from Psalm 91:
- You’ll remain stable and fixed.
- He will deliver you from the snare of the fowler (those who want to steal your favor when you’re flying high).
- He’ll deliver you from plagues and diseases.
- He’ll cover you and protect you.
- You won’t be afraid of anything.
- No evil shall befall you; nor shall any plague come near your dwelling.
- A thousand may fall at your side, and ten thousand at your right hand, but it shall NOT come near you.
- You will only see the punishment of the wicked. You won’t experience it yourself.
- God’s angels will protect you.
- You’ll have victory over the enemy and all his forces of evil.
- God Himself will deliver you. He will set you on high.
- He will answer your prayers.
- He’ll be with you in trouble.
- He’ll honor you.
- God will satisfy you with long life, and He’ll openly demonstrate His salvation to you.
Learn to live your life plugged in intimately to God. If you will, God will fight your battles for you… and He’ll win every battle, every time.
2. The warfare of prayer:
Prayer is essential if you want to see God move in any situation. God has chosen prayer as the pipeline that He uses to unleash His blessings, victory, and power on the earth.
Why? Because in the garden of Eden, God gave mankind dominion over the earth. Still today, men and women, boys and girls have dominion here. And God is a Respecter of authority. That means that God moves on earth when we give Him permission; when we ask Him to move.
And asking God to move equals praying.
It’s simple, really. If we pray, we will see the move of God. No prayer? No move of God.
That’s why prayer is spiritual warfare. Every battle is fought and won on our knees. Oh, there may be other things that God leads us to do as well, in addition to praying.
But the victory is actually gained IN PRAYER, and nowhere else.
That’s why the life stories of some of the mightiest men and women of God who have ever lived are the stories of lives filled with prayer:
- Like the man who wore grooves in his hardwood floor where his knees hit the floor.
- Like the man who stained his walls with the breath of his prayers.
- Like the great revivalists of the First and Second Great Awakenings, who together with their intercessors prayed for days and nights before preaching the Word of God… but saw thousands saved after they preached.
So if you want to see God move, learn to pray. Ask the Holy Spirit to increase your prayer life and teach you to pray. Dedicate time to prayer, even if you start with just 10 or 15 minutes a day. The key is to START. And as you pray, God will answer.
Related: Download my MP3 teaching series on intercession on my Gumroad store to learn more about how to shake heaven and earth through prayer. You can also see these blog posts with details about each message:
- The Call of Intercession: How intercession is for every believer. YOU can intercede with power.
- The Challenge of Intercession: 7 ways to intercede with power and gain victory every time.
- The Cost and Crown of Intercession: stories about the role of prayer in revivals past, present, and future.
3. The spiritual warfare of fasting:
There is power in fasting–as long as we fast with a right heart–because it increases our intimacy with God. Fasting brings us to our knees in prayer in a new way. That’s why fasting brings results.
Here are some remarkable examples from not-too-distant history:
- In 1946, a man named Franklin Hall called a conference in California about extended fasting and prayer. Out of that conference, a book was printed called “Atomic Power With God Thru Fasting and Prayer.”
- Thousands of people around the world turned to extended fasting and prayer in 1946 as a result of reading “Atomic Power.”
- In 1947, the healing revivals broke out all over the country—the revivals for which William Branham, TL Osborne, Oral Roberts, and others are famous.
- Each of these healing revivalists credited the move of God they saw in their ministries to fasting and prayer.
- In 1948, the book “Atomic Power” made its way to North Battleford, Canada. After 3 months of extended fasting and prayer, the Holy Spirit was poured out there in what became called the “Latter Rain Outpouring.”
- The revival from Canada swept into the United States as well.
- Also in 1948, Bill Bright was filled with the Holy Spirit. He is the one who eventually founded Campus Crusade for Christ, through which the Lord brought many campus revivals.
- In 1948, ISRAEL BECAME A STATE.
- In 1949, Billy Graham held his first crusade in Los Angeles.
All of these things can be traced back to the move of God that began when God’s people began to fast and pray.
Convinced yet? There is power in fasting and prayer. Fasting is spiritual warfare that brings victory. Fasting is mentioned throughout Scripture, and Jesus taught on it too. It’s time for God’s people to return to fasting and prayer.
O mighty warlord, you can fight the good fight and win the victory every time.
The secret is in intimacy with God. The intimacy comes from seeking Him one-on-one in the Word, in prayer, and in fasting. And if you will seek Him and become intimate with Him, God’s own Word promises that you will never lose another battle.
Does this message speak to you? Please leave a comment below and let me know what you think!
Related: Read all the other posts in this series!