Are you lonely? Do you need a best friend? If you yearn for a kindred spirit friend with whom you can share your life–along with all the ups and downs, joys and sorrows–then pray this prayer for a best friend today!
But before we get to the prayer I wrote for you if you need a best friend …
I first want to encourage you and share some Bible verses to strengthen your faith that God will answer your prayer, and send you a covenant friend!
Here are a few of my favorite Bible verses that guarantee God will answer your prayer and give you a best friend:
“Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness. Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart” (Psalm 37:3-4).
“If you ask anything in My name, I will do it” (John 14:14).
And then there’s this one:
“Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them” (Mark 11:24).
We know for sure that it is God’s will for you to have a best friend because His Word says:
“Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to help him up” (Ecclesiastes 4:9-10).
“Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!
It is like the precious oil upon the head, running down on the beard, the beard of Aaron, running down on the edge of his garments. It is like the dew of Hermon, descending upon the mountains of Zion; for there the Lord commanded the blessing—life forevermore” (Psalm 133:1-3).
As well as:
“This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends” (John 15:12-13).
And then there’s Proverbs 27:9-10:
“Ointment and perfume delight the heart, and the sweetness of a man’s friend gives delight by hearty counsel. Do not forsake your own friend or your father’s friend, nor go to your brother’s house in the day of your calamity; better is a neighbor nearby than a brother far away” (Proverbs 27:9-10).
Beloved, if you need a best friend, God wants to give you the best friend you need.
And He will, if you will only pray and then follow Him where He leads you to go, so you can FIND your best friend!
Pray this prayer if you need a best friend today:
“Dear Heavenly Father,
I come to You in Jesus’ name.
Father God, I love You so much. You constantly fulfill and comfort my heart. You are everything I truly need, and I thank You for that. Thank You for being my friend who sticks closer than a brother. I praise You for Your goodness and faithfulness to me.
But Father God, You have created me to enjoy friendship:
- You created Your people to desire community, relationships, friendship, laughter, and fellowship.
- You created us to have fun together.
- You made us to enjoy one another’s company, as brothers and sisters in You!
- You made us to be with one another and hold one another up before You when we are going through hard times.
- You commanded us in Your Word to share both the joys and sorrows of life with one another.
But Father, I have no one to share these things with. I need a human best friend in my life in order to be able to fulfill Your commands in these areas!
Father God, I’m not going to go over into self-pity with this prayer. You have always provided my needs, and You always will.
Therefore, I’m praying in faith today because Your Word says I should have close friends with which to share my life. Your Word also says that You will give me anything for which I ask if my delight is in You. You will give me the desire of my heart, for I delight in You. Thank You for that, Abba Father.
Therefore, Father God, I ask for this one simple request today:
I need a best friend, Father, so I ask in Jesus’ name that You would send me one.
Father God, please send me a best friend:
- Of the same sex as me (a female best friend for women, and a male best friend for men);
- Who loves You with all their heart, Lord, and is seeking You first every single day;
- Someone who is a person of Your Word and prayer;
- Who is living a holy life before You;
- Who is of like faith and spirit with me;
- Who cares about the same heavenly assignments that I care about;
- Who has time available to spend with me, and who actually wants to spend time with me;
- Who loves me as much as I love them;
- Who shares the same (clean) sense of humor and can laugh at the same (clean) jokes;
- Who enjoys some or all of the same hobbies as I enjoy;
- Whose family life and schedule will allow them to spend time with me on a regular basis;
- Who talks to me about their own life AND asks me questions about my life;
- Who really cares about what I say, and I will really care about what they say;
- Who listens well;
- Who does not focus on themselves all the time;
- A best friend who is willing to really open up their heart to me, not hiding their real self and their real life and problems behind walls of any kind;
- A best friend with whom I can pursue You, so we can run after You together;
- A friend who invites me to do things with them just as often as I invite them to do things with me;
- With whom I can share my joys and sorrows, and who will share their joys and sorrows with me;
- A best friend with whom I can travel and go on vacation;
- A best friend who lives near me, so that it is easy for us to spend time together;
- A best friend who is not codependent on me or anyone else, but is rather healed, whole, and free, so they can have healthy relationships;
- A best friend who is there for me when I need them–a friend for whom I will also be there when they need me;
- A best friend who does not try to solve every problem, but who does help in ways that a friend should–and whom I can help in ways that a friend should.
Father, I don’t want a friendship in which I just see someone at church once a week and we say hello–but we share none of the rest of our lives together. Instead, I desire a real best friend with whom I can share my life–and who will share their life with me.
So Father God, in Jesus’ name, because Your Word says that You will give me anything I ask for, I do pray today that You will send me a best friend.
And also …
- Please help me know where to go to meet them.
- Put them on my heart, and put me on their heart as well.
- Lead me to the right best friend for me, and deliver me from all the wrong friends!
- If You need me to step out and join a club, a group, a paid network, or start an activity, then please help me to do that.
- Open doors for me that only You can open, and close doors only You can close.
- Give me wisdom, Father, and order my steps in Your Word.
I speak to this situation, and I say, “Best friend, BE! In Jesus’ name! Friendship from God, come forth in Jesus’ name! Divinely-ordained relationships with covenant friends, including one best friend, BE in Jesus’ name!”
Finally, Father, I am claiming Your promise in Psalm 32:8 that says You will instruct me and teach me in the way I should go, and that You will guide me with Your eye upon me.
Thank You in advance for Your guidance, wisdom, leadership, and instruction. Thank You for giving me the best friend for whom I am praying right now. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer, and I give You all the glory.
Thank You, Abba Father. In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.”
Friend, do you need a best friend?
If so, did you pray this prayer for a best friend in faith today? Do you believe God will answer your prayer for a best friend, sending you the covenant friend for whom you have prayed? Leave a comment below and confess your faith if so–and be sure you have seed in the ground before the Lord that is named for a best friend, too!
Related: Read my article on (in)courage entitled “Do You Need Covenant Friends?” for more encouragement on this topic if you need a best friend!