Did you know that you can have God as your Attorney? It's true; you can ask Holy Spirit to advocate for you! Read on for more!
Have you ever felt like you need an attorney to argue the case for your promotion? Do you wish you had someone who would advocate for you before God and people–someone influential who is on your side?
If so, I have awesome news for you today: You do have such an Advocate. Jesus told us that His name is the Holy Spirit, and He will advocate for you in regards to your destiny if you ask Him to do so. And when the Holy Spirit argues a case, He wins every time.
How we know the Holy Spirit will advocate for you:
We know that the Holy Spirit will advocate for you because Jesus said so. John 14:26 says:
But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you” (NIV).
So what exactly does it look like to have the Holy Spirit advocate for you?
The word that is translated Advocate in John 14:26 is the Greek word “Parakletos.” Check out the actual meaning, according to Strong's Concordance:
Summoned, called to one's side, especially called to one's aid; one who pleads another's cause before a judge, a pleader, counsel for defense, legal assistant, an advocate; one who pleads another's cause with one, an intercessor; in the widest sense, a helper, succourer, aider, assistant.”
Did you catch that? Having the Holy Spirit advocate for you means He has been sent to your side. He pleads your cause before whomever He needs to plead your cause. He is your Intercessor. He is your Helper.
- God will whisper in the ears of people He wants to use to bless you.
- When it's time for you to be promoted, the Holy Spirit will tell the people He wants to use to do so.
- When people, rumors, situations, or anything else comes against you, the Holy Spirit pleads your case against the accuser–and He wins every time.
The Holy Spirit has never lost a case and never will. When He takes up your case, victory is guaranteed.
So here's my personal story:
You already know I used to feel forgotten. Well, when I sat down with the Lord and poured my heart out to Him for the first time about it, I remembered something the Holy Spirit had done for me in the past when He advocated for me in a radical, freaky way. Remembering that occasion built my faith to ask Him to advocate for me again.
Here's the wild incident in which the Holy Spirit advocated for me:
One day, a number of months before I began to pray this prayer, I was at church doing what I always do: serving. And out of the blue, my worship pastor came up to me and said, “(The senior pastor) wants you to be ready to come onstage at the end of the service.” I had no idea what it was about, but I agreed and was ready.
At the end of my pastor's sermon (which discussed the First Nations here in America), he called me up to the platform. Again, I had no idea what it was all about. But he took out a prayer shawl that someone had just given him that had belonged to a late, very influential prayer warrior for the First Nations.
Then, my pastor said, “The Holy Spirit told me that Jamie Rohrbaugh carries the mantle of this person here in Chattanooga.”
So he sat me down and put it over my head and asked me to pray while he finished his sermon.
At the end of the sermon, he asked me if I wanted to say anything. I didn't have a prophetic word, but I did feel like I wanted to speak a blessing over the congregation. The pastor gave me permission to do that, so I did. And it was powerful. I was extremely honored and blessed and grateful to have been able to participate in that day. It was REALLY cool.
Now here's the most radical part:
After the service, my pastor and his wife talked with me. He told me that, while he had been traveling, the Holy Spirit whispered my name in his ear and told him that I carried the mantle of this late prayer warrior, and that he was supposed to call me up onstage, etc.
Don't miss this: I didn't have anything to do with it.
- I knew nothing about it at all. I had never even heard of this lady who was the First Nations prayer warrior.
- My pastor didn't come up with this plan himself either.
- No other person tried to influence my pastor.
Humans had NOTHING to do with this at all. THE HOLY SPIRIT spoke my name to my pastor and gave my pastor his instructions. Only the Holy Spirit.
And when the Holy Spirit advocated for me, completely without my knowledge and before I even asked Him to, God moved and blessed me.
I think that's such a beautiful example of the Holy Spirit's work as an advocate. I didn't know He was advocating for me. I wasn't even asking Him to. But He, all on His own, knew that this thing was part of His plan for my life. So in a different city, in a different state, He spoke my name into my pastor's ear about a subject I had never even heard of.
He worked it all out and blessed me because He is my Advocate. And since I began praying for Him to continue advocating for me, He has done even more for me than I could ever describe.
- He has continued to whisper my name in people's ears.
- He has opened doors for me.
- He has given me opportunities I would never have otherwise received.
- He has given me material gifts, like bonuses at work out of the blue.
Wild, freaky things have happened, all because the Holy Spirit is my Advocate. And you know what?
The Holy Spirit is your Advocate too.
In what area do you need Him to advocate for you? Do you need opportunity? Have you served and prepared, and you feel like you're ready for the next open door? Do you need Him to open that door?
No matter what you need–and even if you have no idea what your need is–the Holy Spirit will advocate for you. He can't help Himself; being an Intercessor and Advocate is Who He is. And one day … one whisper … one moment can change everything for you.
So will you ask Him today to intervene in your situation and advocate for you?
Pray this with me:
“Heavenly Father, I come before You in Jesus' name.
Father, You are so good. Thank You for always taking care of me. Thank You for giving me the gift of the Holy Spirit. Thank You, Holy Spirit, for being my Advocate.
Holy Spirit, I need help. I long to experience everything You have for me in my life. I want to see things happen, but I can't open doors myself. I can't advocate for myself.
But Father, Your Word says I don't have to try to advocate for myself.
Your Word says that You, Holy Spirit, are my Advocate and that you will help me. So Lord, I ask in Jesus' name: please take up my case. I ask in Jesus' name that You would defend my cause in every place, with every person that You desire to use to bring me into my destiny.
Holy Spirit, please advocate for me in every area:
- When it's Your time for me to be promoted or to have new opportunities, whisper my name in the ears of the people You desire to use.
- Open doors for me that no man can shut. Shut doors for me that no man can open.
- Bring me the relationships You desire me to have.
And Father, as You do so, please give me wisdom and help me walk through the doors and opportunities You bring:
- Help me to walk wisely.
- Help me to speak Your words, and Your words only.
- Waken my ear morning by morning to hear You as a disciple.
- Let me hear Your voice behind me, saying “This is the way; walk in it,” and let me never turn to the left or to the right.
- Let the words of my mouth and the thoughts of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, and let my behavior bring glory to You.
Thank You, Father. Thank You, Lord Jesus. Thank You, Holy Spirit. I love You, and I worship You, and I give You all the praise.
In Jesus' name. Amen.”
The Holy Spirit will take up your case when you ask Him. He will do radical things for YOU that only He can do. Why not ask the Holy Spirit to advocate for you today?
Are you ready for the Holy Spirit Himself to take up your case? Does this message encourage your heart? If so, please leave a comment below. I want to hear what you think!
- Dear Christian Who Feels Forgotten, Here’s Step One
- 7 Life-Changing Prayers For People Who Feel Forgotten: Prayer #1
- Prayer #2: Ask God To Perform the Duties of a Father For You
- Prayer #3: Believe (And Remind God) That Promotion Comes From Him Alone
- Prayer #4: If You Feel Forgotten, Ask God For Favor
- Prayer #5: If You Feel Forgotten, Pray For Influence
- Prayer #6: Ask the Holy Spirit To Advocate For You
- Prayer #7: Ask God To Bring You The Reward Of Your Labor
- Encouraging Word & Free Printable Bookmark of All 7 Life-Changing Prayers
Image courtesy of Sten Dueland on Flickr via Creative Commons license. Image has been cropped and graphics added.