Beloved child of God, are you struggling with discouragement today? Are you having difficulty seeing what God is doing in your life–uncertain why things are the way they are? If so, it’s time to extol the Lord–and this blog post will help you get started with 180 ways to do just that.
When doubt, discouragement, and disillusionment come knocking at your door, you HAVE to re-frame your attitude by extolling the Lord.
If you’re going to get through with victory, that is. And I believe VICTORY is your middle name! The same Holy Spirit who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in Y-O-U, and that makes you more than a conqueror through Christ who loves you! Extolling the Lord simply helps you walk in that victory.
The Bible commands us to extol the Lord throughout its pages.
One of my favorite Scripture passages about extolling the Lord is from Psalm 68:1-4, which says:
“Let God arise, let His enemies be scattered; let those also who hate Him flee before Him. As smoke is driven away, so drive them away; as wax melts before the fire, so let the wicked perish at the presence of God.
But let the righteous be glad; let them rejoice before God; yes, let them rejoice exceedingly.
Sing to God, sing praises to His name; extol Him who rides on the clouds, by His name Yah, and rejoice before Him” (Psalm 68:1-3).
What does it mean to extol the Lord?
To “extol” means to praise the Lord; to laud Him–but it’s not quite the same as “praise.” Extolling the Lord means you start telling our Father everything that is great about Himself.
When you “extol” the Lord, you take a good, hard look at Him and tell Him exactly what You see. (You don’t tell Him what you see when you look away from Him; you tell Him what you see when you look AT Him.)
However, it goes farther than that. When you extol the Lord, your praises begin building upon themselves. The word for “extol,” in the original Hebrew, literally means “to mound up” or “exalt.” (Click on Hebrew word #5549 here to read this definition for yourself from Psalm 68:4.)
Extolling the Lord literally feels like you are mounding up the accolades of God’s greatness.
His praises build and build in your spirit, the longer you keep at it. It doesn’t take very long until your spirit is so enlarged that your soul–your mind, will, and emotions–and body are impacted too:
- Full joy wells up inside you.
- You might feel like you could just bounce out of your skin with joy.
- A light comes back into your eyes.
- Tears may stream down your face as you magnify the Lord (looking at Him bigger).
Want to be filled with the Spirit of the Fear of the Lord?
Download my free ebook, Praying the Names of God: 555 Biblical Names of God and How to Use Them In Prayer and Worship, and learn to notice how God reveals Himself in hundreds of ways through Scripture!
When you extol the Lord, your spirit becomes overwhelmed with joy because, by extolling the Lord, you encounter the eternal.
In His presence is fullness of joy (Psalm 16:11). And because extolling the Lord requires you to look closely at Him, then as you extol Him and lift up His name, you enter into a state that can only be described as a spiritual sense of ecstasy.
That ecstasy is simply an encounter with the Joy-Giver, because in His presence is fullness of joy. And extolling the Lord brings His glory down on you and makes you aware of His presence.
Extolling the Lord can be all-consuming …
… As it should be.
Think of the four living creatures. The four living creatures in the midst of God’s throne and around His throne, as described in Revelation chapter 4, have been extolling the Lord since eternity past. “Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come!” they cry.
And although they have been staring at the Lord since time immemorial—surely aware of other aspects of His glorious nature as well—they have been so overcome by His holiness that they have never even been able to move on and extol His other virtues.
It’s hard to have a bad attitude when you look at God that closely, isn’t it?
Let’s face it: Discouragement happens when we take our eyes off God.
Discouragement happens when we put our eyes, our words, and our faith on circumstances instead of on the Lord. Remember that our God is the great, the eternal, the Only Wise God who:
- Sits alone at the governmental center of the universe;
- Sits and is enthroned on the financial center of the universe;
- Is the source of all creativity and beauty;
- Makes heaven and earth tremble before Him;
- Sits at the ecclesiastical center of the universe;
- Moves the hearts of kings like water;
- Is the Source of all holy innovation; and
- Raises up kings and brings them down …
… And this God, our God sits on His throne and laughs at the unholy machinations and plots of men and of the devil.
Have we forgotten that?
Have we forgotten 1 John 4:4: “You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world“? God is always greater than any situation we face!
Beloved, I’m challenging myself as well as challenging you today.
As beloved children of God, it is our job to keep our eyes on Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith. Our eyes should be fixed on Him at all times.
Everything you see was created by the spoken word.
So if you have nothing except the ability to speak, you can still create anything you want. You can be like God and speak those things that are not as if they already were (Romans 4:17)!
To help you, Jamie wrote a book of hundreds of Biblical confessions for you—especially in the area of your finances. It called Speak Life Volume 1: Chart Your Course With Your Words, and it’s our most popular book ever! Get your copy today and begin speaking LIFE over those things that concern you!
But, have we forgotten this? Have we gotten discouraged, down in the dumps, and fallen into the doldrums because things do not seem to have gone the way we wanted lately?
If so, it’s time to extol the Lord.
Specifically, I challenge you today to write down 180 ways to extol Him: 180 phrases and praises you can use to look at the Lord bigger. I know that’s a strange number–180–but I just felt led to challenge you to extol the Lord specifically in 180 ways.
After all, we are commanded to magnify the Lord; are we not? And extolling the Lord is one thing that helps us magnify Him.
Your praise works like a magnifying glass. Every time you extol the Lord and expound on His virtues—whether in your prayers, in your song, or in your worship—it’s as if you zoom in a little closer to Him. There’s no amount of “zooming in” that could ever be too much or too close. Your praise could never be too excessive. Your list of ways to extol the Lord could never be too long.
He is worthy.
If you aren’t sure how to get started extolling the Lord, here are some tips:
- Get out your journal and a pen.
- Write down who God is to you, using the phrase “You are …” and complete the sentence. Tell God who He is on paper!
- Try to get at least 180—or more!
When I personally completed this assignment of writing down 180 ways to extol the Lord, it took me about a week to finish.
I started by jotting down ways to extol and praise the Lord that just came off the top of my head, but getting all the way to 180 stretched me. To finish the list, I had to put my journal down, open my Bible, and just do my daily Bible reading. But, as soon as I did, I found passages that talked about the goodness and wonders of God.
As I read through my daily Bible reading, I simply started praising Him for who He is as I read those passages–and then it was easy to add more praises and exaltations to my list.
To get you started, I am sharing my personal list of 180 ways to extol the Lord.
Every person’s list is going to be special and unique, because your story is special and unique. Your praises are different than my praises because your life is unique; only you know what God has done for you and how He manifests Himself to you.
However, even though your story is unique, your praises are still powerful no matter what they look like–as long as they line up with the Word of God.
Without further ado, here are 180 ways to extol the Lord:
(Remember, these are simply ways to praise the Lord; to mound up accolades upon Him. If these accolades to the Lord speak to you, print this article off and use them! All that matters is that you MAGNIFY the Lord, and this list of 180 ways to extol the Lord will help you do that.)
1. You are the great Multiplier.
2. You are the Chief Master Gardener of the universe.
3. You sit above the circle of the earth.
4. You do all things well.
5. You are alive and doing fine.
6. You are the Great, the True, the Only Wise God.
7. You make heavens and earth tremble before You.
8. You are exalted as head over all.
9. You are Jesus, the Root and the Offspring of David; the Bright and Morning Star.
10. Under Your wings are perfect safety and protection.
11. Rivers of abundance flow from You.
12. Great provision is Yours and belongs to You.
13. You are the Source and the Fountain of the River of Life.
14. Your throne sits high and lifted up.
15. You, Jesus, are King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
16. Out of Your mouth proceeds the sharp, two-edged sword.
17. Both riches and honor come from You, and in Your hand it is to make great over all the earth.
18. You are the Creator of all the wonders of the universe.
19. You are both the Keeper and the Revealer of mysteries.
20. You are He who alone answers prayer.
21. You are God all by Yourself.
22. You are the Mender of broken hearts.
23. You have all power that exists in the universe; it belongs to You.
24. All glory is Yours, and it will eventually return to You.
25. The kings of the earth take counsel against You and fail.
26. You are the great King over all the earth.
27. Holy is Your name!
28. You are the Leader and Judge of men.
29. You are the Exposer of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
30. Secrets and mysteries belong to You.
31. You answer the call of the poor and lowly.
32. You lift up the face of the downcast.
33. You are the Commander of all the hosts of Heaven.
34. You are Lord of hosts.
35. You sit above all the armies of the world and remove them with one finger.
36. You hear the faintest cry from Your beloved ones.
37. You are holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel.
38. You are magnificent and majestic, all by Yourself.
39. You alone dwell in unapproachable light.
40. You are God alone; there is no other besides You.
41. You are God who makes my way perfect.
42. You are God; my times are in Your hands.
43. You alone are holy and righteous and true.
44. You are the great Convictor of men’s hearts.
45. You are our Compass and the only True North.
46. You are God who confronts kings and casts them down.
47. You are God who alone brings justice.
48. You are magnificent and holy, righteous and true.
49. You are He who moves on our behalf when we pray.
50. You are God all by Yourself; there is none other.
51. You are life abundantly.
52. You are He who commands rivers to flow out of my belly.
53. You are God, in whom all things consist.
54. You are God, for whom and by whom all things were made.
55. You are the great Possessor of all the possessions on the earth.
56. You are the Chief Musician.
57. You are worthy to be praised.
58. You are blessed and enthroned forever.
59. You are God, who alone is worthy to be magnified.
60. You are God who brings order from chaos.
61. You are Jesus, the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
62. You are almighty, awesome, and holy.
63. You are worthy to be praised.
64. You are the Author of every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realm.
65. You are the Author and Finisher of our faith.
66. You are the Head of Your body, the Church.
67. You are God almighty.
68. You are El Shaddai, the Many-Breasted One from whom all blessings flow.
69. You are Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
70. You are God who sends Your flaming arrows and consumes Your adversaries.
71. Every word that You speak has power.
72. You are the Author and the Speaker of the Word of Life.
73. You are the Way, the Truth, and the Life.
74. Jesus, You are the Word become flesh.
75. Jesus, You are Beauty Incarnate.
76. You are God; promotion and increase are in Your hand.
77. You are Blessed forever.
78. You are the Blessed One, Maker of heaven and earth.
79. Every word that You speak brings life!
80. You are the Divine Reverser of all things horrible.
81. You are Deliverer.
82. You are He who alone gives wisdom.
83. You are Healer, and You are MY Healer.
84. You are Restorer.
85. You are He who gives more grace.
86. You are He who said, “Cast your bread upon the waters, for it will come back to you after many days.”
87. You are the Author of all creativity.
88. You are Wisdom.
89. You are God in Heaven, the Source of all truth.
90. You are the One who draws me to Yourself.
91. You feed me from Your hand!
92. You are the Word made flesh, who dwelt among us.
93. You are faithful to complete the good work You began.
94. Every work that You do is done in righteousness, holiness, purity, and truth.
95. You are good, through and through.
96. You are the Master Craftsman–the Great Master Craftsman.
97. You are the Great I Am.
98. When I confess my sins, You are faithful and just to forgive me my sins and to cleanse me from all unrighteousness. Thank You!
99. You are blessed, O God Most High, for You have not given us as prey to their teeth.
100. You formed all my inward parts. You knit me together in my mother’s womb.
101. YOU are taking me from glory to glory, faith to faith, and strength to strength!
102. You are God who disciples and leads me.
103. Marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows right well.
104. O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt His name together!
105. You are my Shepherd.
106. You are my Provider and my Source.
107. You are my Father.
108. You are my Kinsman Redeemer.
109. You are good, and your mercy endures forever.
110. O taste and see that You are good! Blessed is the man who trusts in You.
111. O fear the Lord, you His saints! There is no lack to those who fear Him.
112. You are God who gives innovative inventions and witty ideas.
113. You are God who exposes the hidden things.
114. You are so awesome; You are worthy to be praised!
115. You are the Great and Terrible, the Only Wise God!
116. You are coming again quickly, riding on a white horse to gather Your people to Yourself!
117. You are the Recorder of good works in Heaven.
118. You are the Rewarder of those who diligently seek You.
119. You are the Fount of the showers of blessing.
120. You are a Mighty Fortress and a Strong Tower.
121. You are my Faithful Friend.
122. You are my Friend who sticks closer than a brother.
123. You are my pillar of cloud by day and fire by night.
124. You are Father, who leads me through the wilderness.
125. You are God, my Love and my Companion, who meets me when I am all by myself.
126. You are my Husband.
127. You are my Maker, the Lord of hosts, the God of the whole earth.
128. You are worthy to be honored, extolled, praised, and exalted.
129. You are God who meets me in the night seasons.
130. You are God who answers prayer; yet, Your ways are past finding out.
131. You are God who does the unexpected and the fearsome.
132. I call upon You, and You answer me and show me great and mighty things that I did not know.
133. You are God who provides for me and surprises me.
134. You are God who exposes the mysteries of Heaven.
135. You share all Your delights with us, Your children!
136. You are the greatest Lyricist of all eternity.
137. O taste the goodness of the Lord! Open your mouth wide, and He will fill it!
138. You are God who commands the angels.
139. You are Lord of hosts, the God of the angel armies and God of Your earthly armies, too!
140. Lord of hosts, I love You!
141. You are God; virtue belongs to You!
142. Your Word is so good, I can barely contain it!
143. You are God who uncovers the foundations of the world! (Psalm 18:15)
144. You sent from above; You took me; You drew me out of many waters!
145. You are my Support and my Stay.
146. You have made me clean; You have given me clean hands and a pure heart.
147. You have filed me with Your Spirit. Thank You!
148. Your statutes are perfect.
149. You are Mercy to me!
150. You are the God of breakthrough.
151. You are faithful to perform what You have spoken.
152. You are God who is, and who was, and who is to come.
153. You are God who surprises me every day with good things. Thank You, Abba Father!
154. You are my Home and my Rest.
155. You are the Source of adventure.
156. Greater works come from You.
157. You are Father who gives sleep and rest. You bless Your beloved in sleep.
158. I sought the Lord, and He heard me, and delivered me out of ALL my fears!
159. I have been young, and now am older; yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his offspring begging bread. (From Psalm 37:25.)
160. You ARE Salvation.
161. You are my Shield, and the Horn of my salvation.
162. You are my Strong Tower!
163. Vengeance belongs to You and You alone. You are God to whom vengeance belongs.
164. You are God who arises and sets me in the safety for which I yearn.
165. You are God who rises up and shines forth.
166. You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God!
167. You are God who never lets the righteous be put to shame.
168. You are Creator of Heaven and earth.
169. You are the Giver of wisdom.
170. You are God who declares the former things from the beginning. (From Isaiah 48:3.)
171. You are God who moves suddenly. (From Isaiah 48:3.)
172. You are God who makes me hear new things, even hidden things that I did not know.
173. You have refined me, but not as silver; You have tested me in the furnace of affliction. (From Isaiah 48:10.)
174. You are He: You are First; You are also the Last.
175. You have the first word and the last word.
176. Your hand has laid the foundation of the earth.
177. Your right hand has stretched out the heavens. (From Isaiah 48:13.)
178. You are God, whose way will prosper.
179. You are God who brings me into the prosperous way. (From Isaiah 48:15.)
180. You are the Lord my God, who teaches me to profit, who leads me by the way I should go. (From Isaiah 48:17.)
Beloved, do you see how quickly you can “praise yourself happy?”
When you start praising and extolling the Lord, the cares of this life fall away. You enter into a serious manifestation of His presence, and in His presence is fullness of joy.
When you praise God and extol His wondrous virtues, you can’t help but become enamored and enthralled with who He is. And when you become enamored and enthralled with who He is, the circumstances and situations we pray for every day in our nation suddenly look much smaller.
The Bible teaches us to extol the Lord.
“Oh, magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt His name together” (Psalm 34:3). How long has it been since you sat down and did nothing but look at the Lord as closely as possible? Since you simply extolled His name, His wonders, and His virtues?
If you can’t say “I did that today and I am doing it right now,” then sit down and make your list. Magnify the Lord and look at Him bigger. Extol His name, and you will find the fresh breath of God’s Holy Spirit filling your lungs again.
What is the first accolade that springs up in your spirit today as you look at the Lord? Leave a comment below, and let us extol the Lord together! And if you haven’t already, download the free, printable study guide below and use this list to extol the Lord every day!